The Kathleen Ferrier Awards Competition 2023
The competition is open to singers of any nationality who, on or before 1st February 2023
- (a) have completed at least one year of a postgraduate course in music at a recognised conservatoire or music college in the United Kingdom (UK) or Republic of Ireland (ROI), or
- (b) having graduated with a first degree or equivalent at a recognised conservatoire or music college in the UK or ROI, have thereafter completed at least one year of continuous study in the UK or ROI with a recognised vocal coach.
Applicants must also have their main residence in the UK or ROI as at 1st February 2023. All singers must be 28 or under on Friday 21st April 2023.
As well as a first prize of £12,500 and a second prize of £6,000, the Ferrier Loveday Song Prize of £5,000 and Help Musicians Accompanists Prize of £5,000 will be decided in the competition.
The jury for the 2023 competition includes Michael Chance, Kathryn Harries, Pamela Lidiard, Elaine Padmore (Chair), and Russell Smythe.
Applications for the 68th competition closed at: 23:59 GMT on 1st February 2023. No application received now will be considered.
The details of the events in the competition are as follows:
- The Preliminary auditions took place on 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th, and 12th March 2023 at Henry Wood Hall
- The Semi-final will be on Tuesday 18th April 2023, starting at 13.30 at Wigmore Hall. Please see our home page for the names of the semi-finalists, both the singers and those pianists who are competing for the Help Musicians prize.
- The Final will be on Friday 21st April 2023, starting at 18:00 at Wigmore Hall. As usual, after a dinner break, during which the jury will consider what they have heard, the prize winners will be announced back in Wigmore Hall the same evening.
The documents below provide guidance for the competition.
- Current Rules and Repertoire requirements may be downloaded from here
- The Singer Application form for 2023 may be downloaded from here
- The Singer Endorsement form for 2023 may be downloaded from here
- The Accompanist Application form for 2023 may be downloaded from here
- A specimen programme with useful advice in Microsoft Word format can be downloaded from here. The template on the second page of this document is where existing candidates should present their proposed programme by overwriting it and sending it with their application.